So, I didn't get much of a Riley fix this week. Cancun does not support his cell phone and the beach and all the toys were much more fun that sitting in front of a computer sending emails home.
I did get one message on Saturday that sent me into that world of worry yet again. In checking in with Riley regarding the upcoming hurricane Dean, I asked if there was much going on at the resort. Riley told me all should be fine as their flight left at 3 pm on MONDAY. Gasp!!! Not true. His flight left at 3 on SUNDAY! Could it be he read his ticket wrong. Would he miss his flight, would he get caught in Cancun and have to experience the hurricane. Would it cost me yet another $1000. Would it, could it. Sigh. Called the hotel and left a message with someone with broken English, left more emails, checked flight info on the family he was staying with. Checked airline departure schedules. Checked, checked and rechecked.
I knew that it was very likely he just made the off hand comment on the day and really was on his way home on Sunday but still it was un-nerving. A text message Sunday night from Salt Lake City International Airport finally gave me the answer. My boy was on his way home ... When asked what he meant by Monday he texted "oh I just got the date wrong".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Poor Margaret! look at it this way, if all else fails you can open your own travel agency.
Once when Tom was traveliing in the early 70's and email didn't exist, he sent his mother a telegram saying "Happy Easter, am going overland through Syria". This was her first note from him in months, and of course Syria was at war.
Let me tell you sometime about my missed flight from Cancun. $2,000+ later I now make sure Tony double checks all flights coming home from anywhere, anytime.
Oh, and after that I can tell you about the missed flight from Las Vegas. I HATE the 24-hour clock and now book flights based on which internet company gives me a "3:45 pm" flight versus a "15:45" flight.
Ha ha ha.
Post a Comment