Last week I lost a competition. It was one I really wanted to win and I was and am deeply disappointed. As many of my wonderful friends and colleagues said, "things happen for a reason" and I'm sure I'll figure out one day what that reason is.
For now, I'm spending some time thinking about competition and I've been pondering how Riley must feel every time he gets prepared to compete. Competition is about winning and losing and there can only ever be one winner. There is risk as you put yourself out there and that risk is very scary whether it be up on the top of the 10 metre tower in front of thousands of people, or in a very small boardroom in front of a select few. In competition you manage everything that is in your control and minimize the risk of those things that are not. You prepare, you work hard, you train and the result is your best effort and the outcome will speak for itself. Win or lose.
I suppose at the end of the day, "I tried my best" is an important take away and it has always been what I've asked Riley after every competition regardless of the result. This week Riley sent me two special messages - the first was beforehand, "Good luck Mommy, I know you'll do great" and the second one "I know you did your best". I really did Riley and I know you do too. xo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Margaret. When I heard the news, my first thoughts were of you. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't win this particular competition as I believe you would have been fantastic. That said, you already are!
And it is true that things happen for a reason... sometimes one that is yet to be revealed.
Take care and keep bein' you, :)
Dawn
Hey Margaret,
You are a rock star! Everything does happen for a reason - which only means bigger and better things for you.
Post a Comment