Thursday, April 17, 2008

It can happen to anyone

A few days ago, Alexandre Despatie, in a regular training practise, landed wrong and broke a bone in his foot. Alex as you likely know is Canada's top diver, a World Champion and Olympic Silver medalist. They don't come much better than him. He does all the right things; eats right, trains right, gives up most fun things a young man his age is doing and gives his mother hugs and kisses and yet fate dealt him a blow this week and his goal to win the gold medal at the Olympics this summer is in jeopardy.

It sure makes you realize that anything can happen and perhaps it will be clear in time that this unfortunate incident happened for a reason. In the mean time, I will watch both Alex and Riley with interest. I am confident that Alex will rise to the occasion and find a way to turn this accident into a victory. Alex is one of the hardest and most dedicated athletes I know and with his experience, he will dig deep into his character and work it out. I'm reminded of Silken Laumann and what she overcame. Her accident and how she handled it may have actually shaped her future and many around her. Riley and Alex are joined at the hip and there will be a wonderful lesson in all of this if Riley learns from this experience as well. Speedy recovery Alex!

No comments: