
I've been inspired lately by some amazing girlfriends. Susan and Mika have written some very powerful editorial in this medium and it creates an urge in me to do something small in my own way. I've just finished reading my friend Laura's trip through India and I'm humbled about starting to write about anything that is not meaningful to the greater good but upon a short reflection, being a mom is about the greater good isn't it? And being the mom of Riley is a unique story to tell. And so I begin ...
When you go to http://www.diving.ca/ and look at Riley's profile under the Senior National Team, you will find that he has accomplished quite a bit in his young life. What it doesn't tell you however, is what it has taken to get there and even more daunting, what it will take to achieve his ultimate dream of winning a World Championship and an Olympic gold medal.
Riley is fifteen and he has been diving for ten of those fifteen years. I think one time we calculated how many dives that is but I'm at a loss at the moment to remember and no calculator within reach. Suffice to say, training five to six days a week, twice a day, its a lot. It also means a lot of time for me, sitting at the pool (until thankfully Commonwealth renovated and built a gym looking over the pool so I moved from stationary to tread mill) and watching his efforts. It provides lots of time to think. What I've been thinking about lately is what Riley has given up to get to where he is. Don't get me wrong, he has received so many wonderful experiences and chances to develop incredible life skills and I'm grateful for it all. I think though, because he is now fifteen and thinking these things a wee bit himself, I'm just hoping at the end of his career he looks back and says that yes, it was all worth it. Its hard when you are fifteen and all your friends are going to parties, staying out late, driving cars and spending money. I wonder if his friends are immune to "I can't, I have diving" and are still ok to be there when he can, which isn't often. Its a very hard time to be a kid let alone one with the weight of the countries shoulders on him as "the next one" (that's the next Alex not the next Wayne).
Riley has been lauded as "the next one" since he was six. He's used to that for sure, but now, at fifteen and his first year on the Senior Grand Prix circuit and only thirteen months away from Beijing, its time to deliver the goods and perform like all the experts have said he would the past ten years. The pressure must be tremendous. I wonder how he copes.
When you go to http://www.diving.ca/ and look at Riley's profile under the Senior National Team, you will find that he has accomplished quite a bit in his young life. What it doesn't tell you however, is what it has taken to get there and even more daunting, what it will take to achieve his ultimate dream of winning a World Championship and an Olympic gold medal.
Riley is fifteen and he has been diving for ten of those fifteen years. I think one time we calculated how many dives that is but I'm at a loss at the moment to remember and no calculator within reach. Suffice to say, training five to six days a week, twice a day, its a lot. It also means a lot of time for me, sitting at the pool (until thankfully Commonwealth renovated and built a gym looking over the pool so I moved from stationary to tread mill) and watching his efforts. It provides lots of time to think. What I've been thinking about lately is what Riley has given up to get to where he is. Don't get me wrong, he has received so many wonderful experiences and chances to develop incredible life skills and I'm grateful for it all. I think though, because he is now fifteen and thinking these things a wee bit himself, I'm just hoping at the end of his career he looks back and says that yes, it was all worth it. Its hard when you are fifteen and all your friends are going to parties, staying out late, driving cars and spending money. I wonder if his friends are immune to "I can't, I have diving" and are still ok to be there when he can, which isn't often. Its a very hard time to be a kid let alone one with the weight of the countries shoulders on him as "the next one" (that's the next Alex not the next Wayne).
Riley has been lauded as "the next one" since he was six. He's used to that for sure, but now, at fifteen and his first year on the Senior Grand Prix circuit and only thirteen months away from Beijing, its time to deliver the goods and perform like all the experts have said he would the past ten years. The pressure must be tremendous. I wonder how he copes.
2 comments:
Hello!
Congrats on your first post! What a great way to keep in touch with Riley while he is around the world. And an interesting subject to blog about. I'm sure your site will be an inspiration for thousands of parents that are going through similar events.
Just read your blog and I'm already inspired! What a wonderful gift to your son - a new an interesting way to get to know each other. I look forward to following his career and reading about your life.
Post a Comment